Pages

Feb 8, 2013

Post X-mas flu and weight gain.

January is over and done with, thank the heavens, and here is a short status report. I am super busy lately with all the preparations for this summer's field work in Upper Anarjohka National park.  As a part of my master thesis I am going to be spending 2 weeks together with 3 other archaeologists in the middle of no-man's land in eastern Finnmark. When I say No-man's land I really mean NO-MAN land. The closest road is across the border in Finland  about a day's march away. We have applied for a landing permission with helicopter to transport us and all our gear in there, and to pick us up 2 weeks later. It's going to cost us a pretty penny too. After the projected 2 weeks are over I and Tina, my fellow master student and co conspirator, are planning to paddle the Anarjohka river until we come upon the closest Norwegian road, about a week worth of travelling.

As always when I have been on holidays at my parents' I became ill when I got home in Tromsø. I was bed ridden for a week straight, and no work outs of any kind was possible for about 2 weeks. That, plus us not arriving until the second week of January, meant that I have not been able to do any working out at all this year so far... not seriously at least. I have also gained almost everything I lost before the holidays! It is an utter disaster!

Since the trip is going to be a really long hike, and is planned for June 3. I have lots and lots to do before then. I have to get in super shape so I will be able to do the 6-12 miles of hiking a-day that is required to get all the work done in the allotted time. The last 4 days I have been ice skating twice, about 2 hours each time, for exercise and I am going skating again tomorrow. I will have to really push myself to get there. And I am looking forward to it... kind of...


I will keep you updated.

Mrs. K

No comments:

Post a Comment