Pages

May 4, 2010

Garden Project: Miniature kitchen garden. Part One

It's almost that time of year again. That time when the snow melts, flowers pop up and the trees start budding.
Fresh herbs are hard to get in the store, and the vegetables are less tasty than they were 4-5 months ago. So what do you do when spring comes calling and you find yourself in a small apartment with no garden to tend. Well you make your own indoors miniature garden 'course!

The first thing first: Planning the garden - getting what you need.

Seeds, pots, gravel, soil, tools. What do I need?
Well, earlier I found a picture of a light bulb terrarium and thought that would be something I'd like to try. And also I found some beautiful pictures of some miniature gardens. And naturally no miniature garden would be complete without a miniature tree like a bonsai tree.

The Light Bulb Terrarium
This image is from thehipsterho.me

There are a lot of good tutorials on how to make these out there, and as soon as a light bulb goes out here I'll see if I can use it for a terrarium. I'll also see if I can find some nice vanity bulbs when I'm shopping next week.






The next thing: The miniature garden.
Oh I have lots and lots of ideas for this, but I'll have to limit myself a little bit. I also have to narrow down to what i have need for.
I use some herbs very often, so they should be the first ones i grow. Some of these are Oregano, Dill, Basil, Parsley and Rosemary. I have decided on getting small and individual pots for each herb and have them standing on trays in the window over my kitchen counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment